Why do I need an ITIN?


Let’s say you’re working and earning money in the United States, but you don't qualify for a Social Security Number. An ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, type of Tax ID or Taxpayer ID) will serve as your identification number for filing your tax returns. If you do not qualify for an SSN, you will need to apply for an ITIN.

Here's what else your ITIN does:


  • It allows you to get a refund of income tax withholding from the IRS, if you qualify.
  • It allows you to file your taxes and claim tax benefits for the qualifying dependents.
  • It may allow you to open a bank account 
  • It allows you to apply for a mortgage.
  • It allows you to apply for a vehicle.
  • It allows you to apply for lines of credit.


So your ITIN tax ID not only helps you file a tax return, it ensures you get the refund you deserve as quickly as possible.

Your ITIN application or renewal service is free when we prepare your U.S. federal income tax return.


Required Documents


To begin the ITIN application process, you will need:


  • A complete IRS Form W-7
  • A U.S. federal income tax return Form 1040
  • Your Passport or TWO (2) of the following documents: (including at least one proving identification with photo and one proving foreign status from your country):
    • National Identification Document (this must be current, and include your name, photo, address, date of birth, and expiration date)
    • U.S. driver's license
    • Foreign driver's license
    • Birth Certificate (required for a dependent unless a passport is being submitted and the passport has a date of entry into the U.S.)
    • U.S. State I.D.
    • Foreign Voter's Registration card
    • Visa issued by the U.S. Department of State
    • U.S Military ID card
    • Foreign Military ID card
    • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services photo I.D.
    • Medical (for dependents under age 6 only)
    • School records (for dependents who are students under age 18 only)


You can fill out an application form for an ITIN for you, your spouse, and your dependents when you prepare your tax return with us.



Get Helpful On-Site Verification

While the ITIN application or renewal process can be done with any of our tax pros, using a Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) makes the process a bit easier. Why? With this service, offered at certain participating offices, the CAA will verify your supporting documents. And, because they're verified on-site, your original documents may not need to be mailed to the IRS. Our CAA will submit copies of these documents, along with your ITIN application or renewal, to the IRS for you. Ask your tax professional if a CAA is available at your location.




How to Renew ITIN

We have tax professionals and Certified Acceptance Agents (CAAs) available to answer your questions and quickly process your renewal for free.


  • Gather the necessary documents to show proof of identity and foreign status.
  • Families with multiple ITINs can renew at the same time – If one person's ITIN expires this year, everyone in the household can renew their ITIN at the same time.
  • Apply or renew for FREE to avoid the ITIN application fee you may find elsewhere. Simply file a Federal tax return at a participating location.  Renew your ITIN today! 



If you try to file your return with an expired ITIN, your refund could be considerably delayed. 



How Long Does It Take to Get An ITIN?


After you apply for an ITIN and qualify for an ITIN number, you could  receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number  in as early as seven weeks.  However, the speed in which it takes to get  an ITIN number depends on the volume of inquiries the IRS receive — it  can take nine to eleven weeks during busy times.